Fast Japanese train – level 1
Normal trains have wheels. These wheels move on tracks. However, magnetic trains have no wheels. Magnets move magnetic trains in the air. The train touches nothing – only air. Magnetic trains are fast.
People test a Japanese magnetic train. It sets a new record. Its top speed is 374 miles per hour (602 kilometres per hour).
Nagoya is a Japanese city. It is 173 miles (278 kilometres) from Tokyo. Now, the journey takes 80 minutes. With the new train, the journey can take 40 minutes.
Difficult words: wheel (circle on a car/train/bike for moving), tracks (two lines on a road for trains), journey (a way).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have fast trains in your country, too?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos