Fat Thursday – level 2
Fat Thursday is a Christian tradition in some countries. It is on the last Thursday before Lent, forty days of fasting before Easter.
In Poland, people eat doughnuts on Fat Thursday. Polish doughnuts taste different because people fry them in oil for less than a minute. This way, the oil doesn’t get inside. Last Thursday, people waited in lines for hours to buy doughnuts. The prices of ingredients went up by almost 30% since last year, but it didn’t stop people from buying these special sweets.
Until the 16th century, doughnuts were not sweet. The dough was similar to bread, and there was pork fat inside. For frying, people usually used lard instead of oil.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that the tradition of Fat Thursday will still be around in fifty years?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.