Ferry on fire – level 1
A ferry is a ship. It usually takes people, things, and cars across a river or the sea.
It is Friday night. An Italian ferry is traveling from Greece to Italy. 290 people are on the ship. Most of them are from Bulgaria, Turkey, and Romania.
A fire starts. It spreads very quickly. People run away. 153 cars and trucks are on the ship. They stand very close to each other. People can’t pass through.
Rescuers take most of the people to a safe place. 10 people must go to the hospital. Rescuers are still looking for eight people. Nobody knows where they are.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.