Festival of Light – level 3
The city of Quito, Ecuador, lit up for the annual Festival of Light which celebrates Ecuador’s declaration of independence from Spanish colonial rule.
This year marks the 40th year of the city as a World Heritage Site, and the festival is ever growing. Two million people visited last year, a number which this time even exceeded.
The cultural secretary of Quito said that there were 19 artistic installations around the city by a combination of French and Ecuadorian artists. The installations are all light-themed but vary – there are, for example, lit objects, projections or mappings.
Difficult words: declaration (when you declare – formally say something), independence (being free from another country), World Heritage Site (a place recognised being for special in the world), exceed (be more), installation (a piece of art), vary (be different).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos