Festival of the Sun – level 2
One of the most important Incan ceremonies is “Inti Raymi”. Inti is the Incan god of the sun, so the ceremony is also known as the Festival of the Sun.
People celebrate the Festival of the Sun every year and it celebrates the winter solstice. This year, around 50,000 people came to see the ceremony.
The ceremony reached its climax with the sacrifice of a lama to Inti. People pulled the animal’s heart out and placed it in a fire.
Difficult words: winter solstice (the shortest day of the year in the southern hemisphere), climax (the most intense point), sacrifice (the killing an animal or a person for a god).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What ceremonies do you celebrate in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.