Fewer people use London subway – level 2
Officials said that fewer people used London’s subway and buses after the government asked people to work from home last week.
The reason the government said this was the big increase in numbers of the omicron variant of COVID-19. Many businessmen traveled to London’s financial center, called the City, and companies asked them to start working from home again. Some people already were doing it, because they did not want to be ill before Christmas.
The number of people in the subway dropped by 18% last week. The number of people on the bus dropped only by 6%. More children used buses to go to school, and schools did not close because of the coronavirus.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that he would not make stricter rules. Some members of his party said that if he did, they would not support him in the future.
Difficult words: subway (a system of underground trains in a city), variant (another type of something; a virus variant can be dangerous), party (a group of people in a government who have the same opinions and ideas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.