Fidel Castro’s Death – level 2
Fidel Castro died on Friday, and many Cubans came to Havana’s historic Revolution Square to show respect. People cremated Castro the following day and declared a 9-day mourning period.
Fidel Castro’s final resting place is going to be in Santiago de Cuba, the city where the revolution started. Fidel Castro spent his life fighting capitalist and colonial oppression. He turned the country towards the Soviet Union and against the USA, which tried to remove him from power.
When the mourning ends on December 4th, the country will start to build a new type of relationship with the world.
Difficult words: cremate (burn; destroy with fire), declare (say something officially), mourning period (an official time when you feel or show sadness for somebody’s death), oppression (when people take away other people’s freedoms).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos