Fidel Castro’s Death – level 3
Cubans gathered at Havana’s historic Revolution Square to pay homage to Fidel Castro, following the iconic leader’s death on Friday. People cremated Castro the following day and declared a 9-day period of mourning.
People carried his ashes to a final resting place in Santiago de Cuba, the city in the eastern part of the country where he launched the revolution. The ceremony ended on Tuesday night when foreign leaders paid their respects to a man who dedicated his life to fighting capitalist and colonial oppression.
Fidel Castro aligned his country with the Soviet Union and outlasted 9 US presidents who had sought to oust him and undermine him.
When people lay his cremated ashes to rest on December 4th, the mourning period will end and Cuba will embark on establishing what will be a very different relationship with the rest of the world.
Difficult words: gather (come together in large numbers), pay homage (show respect), mourning (the time when you feel or show sadness for somebody’s death), oppression (when people take away freedom), oust (drive out from a position of power), undermine (hurt, damage), embark on (begin).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.