FIFA’s six men arrested – level 3
To some, the news hasn’t come as much of a shock. FIFA is at the centre of a fresh scandal today, as six officials have been arrested over corruption charges. The suspects were arrested at dawn at a hotel in Zurich over claims of alleged bribes worth about $100 million over 20 years.
They have been detained pending extradition to the US. Officers swooped as FIFA members met in Zurich ahead of their annual meeting on Friday, where President Sepp Blatter is seeking a fifth term.
One of the men arrested in the FBI investigation is thought to be Jeffrey Webb, the head of the confederation for North and Central America and the Caribbean.
Difficult words: official (a representative of an organisation), dawn (when the sun comes up), claims (a statement about something), alleged (said without proof), bribe (money which makes somebody do something bad), detain (ti arrest), pending (about to happen), extradition (the act of extraditing somebody – giving to a foreign country), swoop (to carry out a sudden attack), annual (yearly).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.