Fight in Nepal’s Parliament – level 3
Fighting broke out in Nepal’s Parliament this morning after a heated debate about drafting a new constitution turned sour.
Ministers and opposition lawmakers rushed to where the assembly speaker was seated but were stopped from reaching him by security officials who formed a cordon in front of the stage.
Some of them tried to break through, and when that didn’t work, tried to boost other members over it.
Opposition members even stomped on desks and threw chairs. The meeting was obviously then adjourned and members of the ruling coalition criticised the opposition for their bad behaviour.
The outbreak comes as Nepal’s Parliament is facing a deadline this week to complete work on the new constitution.
Difficult words: break out (to start suddenly), heated (angry), draft (to prepare), sour (bad), rush (to move very fast), cordon (a line of security officials/guards), boost (to push from below), stomp (to step loudly), adjourn (to plan something for later), outbreak (start of a problem).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.