Finland and Sweden in NATO – level 3
Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Finland and Sweden have strongly considered applying for NATO membership.
Finnish President Sauli Niisto confirmed that Finland would apply to join NATO, while Sweden’s government announced an official policy change that may start Sweden’s application. Sweden would be the only Nordic outsider if it didn’t apply, since Norway, Denmark, and Iceland joined NATO as founding members.
NATO ratification can take a year as the parliaments of all 30 NATO countries need to approve new members. Some countries announced that they would hurry the process; however, recently Turkey surprised its allies when it said it had reservations about Finnish and Swedish membership.
Finland and Sweden want guarantees that NATO will defend them while the application process is underway. Russia repeatedly warned of serious consequences if the nations join NATO ratification.
Difficult words: ratification (the process to vote and give formal approval of an agreement), reservation (a doubt; a reason to disagree), underway (in progress).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos