Finland joins NATO – level 3
On Tuesday, Finland formally joined the NATO military alliance, and it became the 31st member of the North Atlantic Treaty.
The historic policy shift brought on by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine quickly drew a threat from Moscow. Russian President Vladimir Putin had cited opposing NATO expansion as one justification for his invasion. Finnish officials said joining NATO would make the country safer and NATO stronger, and that the next goal was to get Finland’s good neighbor Sweden to the full membership.
Finland’s accession roughly doubles the length of the border that NATO shares with Russia and bolsters its eastern flank. The NATO Collective Defense Pact states that an attack on one member is an attack on all. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 prompted Finns to seek security under NATO, ending the military non-alignment it has maintained since 1945.
On Monday, Russia said that the move raised the prospect of conflict in Ukraine and that the country would strengthen its military capacity in its Western and Northwestern regions. NATO has repeatedly stressed it’s solely a defensive alliance and doesn’t threaten Russia.
Difficult words: justification (a good reason or explanation for something), bolster (to support or strengthen), non-alignment (not supporting or depending on any powerful country or group of countries).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What implications, if any, do experts expect Finland’s NATO accession to have on its relationship with Russia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos