Fire at a petrol station – level 3
Israeli police have arrested a woman suspected of setting a pump on fire at a petrol station in Jerusalem. This is the moment CCTV footage shows the woman on Tuesday approaching a man at the station and then turns away. She can then be seen turning back, pulling a lighter from her pocket and igniting the petrol pump.
The driver’s brother is said to have been sitting inside the car when it set ablaze, but luckily no injuries were reported.
A police spokesman said in a written statement that a woman approached a man while filling his petrol tank and asked for a cigarette. When he refused to give it to her, she pulled out a lighter from her pocket and ignited the pump.
The woman was arrested shortly after the incident and during an investigation she denied it.
The woman’s arrest has now been extended for five days and she’s been sent for psychological tests.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), ignite (to set on fire), ablaze (on fire), deny (to say that you didn’t do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos