Fire in a Chile slum – level 1
A slum is in an area of a city. Very poor people live there. They live in very small houses. Many people live in a small place.
A big slum is in the city of Iquique in Chile. A fire starts there on Monday. Dark heavy smoke comes from the fires. There are very narrow streets between the houses. The fire moves quickly.
Fire engines cannot get to the houses. Firefighters must walk. Firefighters need a lot of water. They get water from the pipes. It means that people do not have any water all day.
The fire burns one hundred homes. 400 people stay in shelters. Firefighters stop the fire on Monday night.
Difficult words: poor (a person who has no or very little money), narrow (when there is very little space between things), shelter (a place where a person is safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos