Fire on a Chinese bus – level 2
Chinese police released a security camera video. It showed a bus with around eighty people on it. It went through a city centre when a man poured banana oil on the floor and lit it.
He injured thirty-two passengers. Sixteen of them had serious injuries, and they were treated at hospital. Two people suffered burns to more than ninety per cent of their bodies.
Police are still checking the arsonist’s identity. He also receives treatment in hospital.
Difficult words: pour (put), more than ninety per cent (almost all of their bodies have burns), arsonist (somebody who starts fire), identity (who the man is).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How would you punish the man who started the fire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos