Fire on German-Czech border – level 3
Firefighters evacuated dozens of people from towns near the Bohemian Switzerland National Park on the Czech Republic’s border with Germany as a wildfire burned out of control.
The blaze started on Sunday, and winds and extremely dry conditions pushed it toward Germany. The smoke reached the capital Prague 100 kilometers to the south; however, it was detected as far as 180 kilometers to the south-east. The fire threatened several villages, and firefighters urged tourists to avoid the area.
Fires happen in Bohemian Switzerland every year; however, they do not usually happen on such a scale. According to authorities, a negligent camper probably started the blaze.
The national park is a popular tourist attraction with its naturally formed sandstone arch, the largest in Europe. The park has featured in a number of moves, including The Chronicles of Narnia.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.