Firefighters Rescue Kayaker – level 1
In North Carolina, a kayaker is in a river. Suddenly, the water pushes him into logs. The logs push him into debris. He is trapped.
Firefighters come to help him. They use a large ladder and a boat to get to him. The rescue takes about two hours.
People send the man to hospital. Officials tell people not to go into the river. It is dangerous.
Difficult words: kayaker (a person who goes out in the water in a small boat called a kayak), log (a long piece of wood), debris (pieces of things), trapped (not able to move, stuck).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.