Fires and Hurricanes – level 2
In the past months, wildfires have burned a large part of the US West Coast. On the other side of the country, hurricanes hit the East Coast.
Many scientists believe that human activity is the reason why the weather is getting more extreme. A recent study by the University of Colorado found that people were responsible for starting 97% of wildfires in the past twenty years. Human activity has caused warmer temperatures, and warmer temperatures mean more fires. Also, the fires are more dangerous because it is more difficult to stop them.
Scientists think that warmer tempertures cause more hurricanes, too. In the past twenty years, hurricanes have become stronger. It is more usual that hurricanes reach the land, and they cause a lot of damage.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.