Fires in California – level 2
In California’s wine region there are wildfires. At least 10 people die and more than 1,500 homes are destroyed. Around 20,000 people have to evacuate.
People try to save their belongings before their houses burn down. Firefighters work against high winds, low humidity and hot, dry weather. The fires destroy over 70,000 acres of land.
Difficult words: wildfire (a large fire), belongings (things), humidity (the amount of water in the air).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Are there wildfires in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos