Fires in California – level 3
At least 10 people have died as wildfires sweep through California’s wine region, destroying over 1,500 properties and forcing the evacuation of around 20,000 people. The government has declared a State of Emergency.
Local residents race against the clock to salvage their belongings. One resident said that people who she did not even know helped her and her family get most of their valuables out of their house.
Firefighters are working against high winds, low humidity and hot, dry weather. People have estimated that over 70,000 acres have been destroyed.
Difficult words: declare (to officially say something), resident (a person who lives somewhere), salvage (save), estimate (to guess).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Are there wildfires in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos