First Person Gets a Vaccine – level 2
90-year-old Margaret Keenan became the first person in the world to get the coronavirus vaccine officially. The second person to get the vaccine was 81-year-old William Shakespeare.
Both people got the vaccine at the University Hospital in Coventry, UK. Some people got the vaccine before them, but it was a part of the tests. Now, the UK became the first country in the world to officially vaccinate people. Health officials said that December 8 was the start of the end of the pandemic.
People who are 80 and over will be among the first to get the vaccine, but it can be difficult to vaccinate people who do not live in cities or small towns. Some people also worry that the vaccine is not safe because the tests were not thorough enough. Officials said that it was not true and that the vaccine was safe.
Difficult words: vaccine (a substance that stops a person from getting a disease), vaccinate (when a doctor gives a person an injection to stop him from getting a disease), thorough (careful and detailed).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.