First same-sex naval kiss – level 3
Reunited after 8.5 months apart, this is the moment Master Seaman Francis Legare shares a first kiss with his partner Corey. But there’s more emotion than those months apart behind this kiss because they are the first same-sex couple to share the traditional naval moment of the first kiss.
Whenever a vessel returns to port, one crewmember is selected to disembark first, and kiss their significant other. This time it was Master Seaman Francis Legare, who’d been aboard Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Winnipeg for 255 days. He was picked to meet his partner in front of a cheering crowd in Victoria, British Colombia.
Afterwards, he said it was great to be supported by the navy and that it sends a strong message, while his crewmates said it sets the tone for the way the navy is and what they embrace.
Difficult words: reunited (together again), naval (relating to the navy – part of the army which is at sea), vessel (a ship), disembark (to leave), crew (the people who operate a ship), mate (a colleague), embrace (to hug and to stand for).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.