First sustainable fuel flight – level 2
A Virgin Atlantic plane fueled only by sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) completed a London-to-New York journey. The plane carried Virigin’s founder Richard Branson.
This shows that airlines are trying to be more environmentally friendly and cut emissions, but they need government support. The biggest challenges with SAF are high costs and limited materials for SAF production. SAF is three to five times more expensive than regular fuel, and currently, it represents less than 0.1% of global jet fuel. Airlines would like to cut emissions by 70%, but large-scale production is difficult. The flight was the first flight to use 100% SAF, but the process of reducing emissions is much slower than in the car industry.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other synergy exists between the aviation industry and other industries that could help reduce emissions in the long term?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.