Fisherman is saved – level 2
A fisherman operated a winch when the anchor line entangled his feet. He accidentally hung himself upside down in the air and on the anchor.
The more he tried to get away, the more entangled he became. Luckily, he had his mobile phone in his pocket, so he called police for help. He was in the air for one hour before that help came.
Difficult words: winch (a tool for lifting heavy things), entangle (twist), anchor (a heavy, metal object on a chain which stops a boat and makes it stay in one place).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.