Flooding in Iran – level 3
Heavy rainfall, which started in mid-March, led to non-stop flooding across Iran, destroying nearly 2,000 cities and villages. The rain displaced thousands of people and killed at least 70.
An Iranian news agency said that some 140 rivers burst their banks. People reported hundreds of landslides, and hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage to water and farming infrastructure.
The Iranian Red Crescent Society said the ‘volunteers and staff evacuated hundreds of people to safety’ and it was handing out items like tents, blankets and health kits to thousands.
However, because of US sanctions on Iran, help from the IFRC (International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies) has not been received. The aid network said that it sent Iran $500,000 but the speaker of Iran’s Parliament said that they didn’t get a dollar because of the American sanctions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.