Floods in South Carolina – level 3
From this vantage point, the view is clear. This footage was shot by a drone and shows the scope of the flooding in South Carolina.
Residents have also captured the floods and posted videos to social media – this one showing the Gills Creek Parkway and Rosewood in South Carolina underwater.
Unprecedented rainfall and rising waters have resulted in nine deaths and trapped hundreds of people in homes and cars.
This is how residents are having to battle the water. Some have had to give up on other forms of transport. More than 2 feet (0.6 metres) of rain has fallen in the past three days in some parts of the state.
Governor Nikki Haley warned residents to remain on alert as rain continued to fall in some of the hardest-hit areas, including the state capital of Columbia, which saw its wettest day on record over the weekend.
Difficult words: vantage point (a good position from which you can see something), footage (a video), scope (the size), resident (a person who resides – lives somewhere), unprecedented (never having happened so much), trapped (to be not able to leave), on alert (ready to deal with a difficult situation).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.