Food for Yemen – level 3
A weeks-long CNN investigation showed that Houthi rebels have been stealing food provided by the UN from the Yemenis.
The UN said last Monday that it is considering stopping aid to Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen. The UN’s program aims to feed around 12 million people in Yemen, which is nearly half of the country’s population, but the UN says that their convoys are blocked.
One UN organisation said that around $15 million worth of food does not make it to people who need it each month and that children are dying because of this. The UN is trying to negotiate with Houthi leaders, but talks were not successful. Stopping aid is the last resort, but the organisation said that it would still help children and women.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.