Football helps people in Jordan – level 2
In March 2011, about 3.8 million people left Syria as an uprising began against the government, and they went to camps in many countries, including Jordan. People at one camp in Jordan help the refugees, especially the children and young people, by encouraging them to play football.
A woman who helps at the camp explained that the children need to play and be kids so that they can feel better about themselves. She said that they need to forget the bad things that happened to them. Playing football gives them hope that they can feel normal and happy again.
Difficult words: uprising (when people fight their government), refugee (a person who left his country), encourage (to tell someone nicely to do something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think playing football helps the children?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.