Forty-three students are killed – level 1
This happens in Mexico. Forty-three students go missing. For four months, people have no information about the students. People are angry. They protest in the streets.
We now know what happened to the students. They are dead. A man killed them. Police arrest him. He is a member of a gang. A gang is a group of criminals who are bad people.
The man tells the police what happened. He thought that the students were different people. He thought that they were members of another gang.
Difficult words: go missing (when nobody knows where a person is), thought (past of “think”), were (past of “are”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.