Fugu fish in Crimea – level 2
Some fishermen in Crimea caught a fish which normally does not live there. It is the fugu fish. This fish blows itself up like a balloon when it is in danger. Also, its organs have a deadly poison. Eating the smallest amount will kill you.
The fish is a delicacy for the Japanese who know how to eat the fish carefully, but people in Crimea are not happy about its presence. They believe that it may be a threat to life in the Black Sea. Cooks there do not want to prepare the fish, either.
Scientists are still working out how the fish got to Crimea.
Difficult words: delicacy (something delicious and rare), threat (danger), work out (to try to find an answer to something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this situation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.