German farmers protest – level 2
Thousands of farmers and workers from various sectors like fishing, gastronomy, and logistics protested in Berlin against fuel subsidy cuts. This caused chaos in the city center.
Around 30,000 demonstrators filled government quarter streets with vehicles, and changes in the government’s policy. Some warned that farmers may go bankrupt. Finance Minister Christian Lindner, who is responsible for the subsidy cut, faced loud protests during his speech.
The protests drew attention to other issues such as high energy costs and bureaucracy. Some protesters even demanded new elections.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What issues were highlighted by the thousands of farmers and workers who protested in Berlin against fuel subsidy cuts?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.