Germany and electricity – level 2
Germany decided to close down all its nuclear power and coal power plants by the end of 2022.
The plan was that by 2040, all the energy would come from renewable resources, such as wind and sunlight. Now it seems that it’ll happen even sooner, and by 2030, 80% of Germany’s electricity will come from renewable resources. Officials say that solar energy will triple, and the country’s wind energy will be the power of 10 nuclear power plants.
Some European countries criticize Germany that it uses too much oil from Russia. The country wants to be independent from Russia. A German official called the renewable resources the energy of freedom.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.