Germany has problems with money – level 1
Germany has problems with money. It starts after the top court cancels 60 billion euros for climate plans.
The government stops the debt brake for some time. Experts worry what this will mean. Next year’s budget is not clear. There can be emergencies like COVID-19. The government may raise taxes and cut help to businesses. This can have a big impact on the country’s situation. When companies and people are afraid of what will happen, they spend less money. They save more. A big risk is less public investment.
The country’s debt may grow. But it is not a crisis yet.
Difficult words: budget (money which you have and you can spend it on something), tax (money which you pay to the government), public investment (money which a government spends on things like schools and hospitals).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures could the government take to help the economy without jeopardizing its debt?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.