Germany shuts down all nuclear power plants – level 3
On Sunday, the three remaining nuclear power stations in Germany were shut down forever as Berlin enacted its plan for fully renewable electricity generation by 2035.
Germany is ending a six-decade-long program that saw one of Europe’s strongest protest movements. The shutdown of the last three power stations was set for last summer; however, it was delayed after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent energy prices soaring and spawned fears of shortages around the world.
Germany pledged to quit nuclear power following the 2011 Fukushima disaster in Japan. Once responsible for a third of Germany’s production, it made up just 6% of it last year, compared to 44% from renewable sources. However, members of pro-nuclear energy groups call the move a huge disaster, claiming that Germany will have to return to nuclear energy if the country wants to phase out fossil fuels and become greenhouse gas neutral by 2045.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What challenges does Germany face in becoming greenhouse gas neutral by 2045?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.