Ghana LGBT+ law – level 1
LGBT+ people are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual people. Ghana makes a new law about LGBT+. It will make the lives of these people much harder.
Lawyers who will help LGBT+ people can go to prison for ten years. LGBT+ people can go to prison for three to five years.
Lawmakers say that this law is good for families. LGBT+ people do not agree. They say that it is very bad. Some people stop talking to a person when they find out that he or she is LGBT+.
Politicians agree with the new law. 70% of people in Ghana are Christian. Christian leaders agree with the law, too.
Difficult words: bisexual (when a man likes both men and women, or a woman likes both women and men), transsexual people (a person who is born as a man or woman but he feels like a woman or she feels like a man), lawyer (the person who studies law, or he helps people with legal things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos