Ghost Town in Abkhazia – level 1
Akamara is a town. People build it in the 1970s. It is a mining town. Around 5,000 people live there. There is a war in 1992 and 1993. Many people leave the town. Even more people leave in 2008.
Now, only 35 people live in Akamara. It is a ghost town. Trees grow out of buildings. There are animals in the streets. Nature is taking over.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.