Ghost Town in Abkhazia – level 2
Akamara is a town which people built in the 1970s in the Soviet Union. It was a mining town and had 5,000 residents.
The Soviet Union collapsed and the town was in Georgia. However, the town was in an area called Abkhazia and Abkhaz separatists wanted to leave Georgia. There was a war during 1992–93 and many people left.
More people left during the 2008 conflict between Georgia and Russia, and today, there are only 35 residents left. Akamara is a ghost town – trees grow out of buildings and animals are in the streets. Nature is taking over.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.