Ghost Town in Abkhazia – level 3
Akamara in Abkhazia is a ghost town given up to nature. People built the mining town back in the 1970s in the Soviet Union and it had 5,000 residents.
After the collapse of the USSR, the town was in Georgia. However, there was a war during 1992–93 when Abkhaz separatists broke from Georgia which led to the first exodus.
The second emigration took place during the 2008 conflict between Georgia and Russia. Today, there are only 35 residents left and the forest is reclaiming public areas and abandoned buildings.
Difficult words: resident (a person who resides – lives somewhere), USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics = Soviet Union), separatist (a person who wants to separate an area of a country to become a new country), exodus (a big emigration), reclaim (take back what was once yours), abandoned (not used, without any people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.