Giant Christmas cake – level 2
Dresden is a city in Germany which is famous for its stollen Christmas cake. Sixty-five bakers prepared a giant three-tonne stollen cake. The preparation took them 3.5 weeks. They used more than one tonne of flour, 750 kilograms of butter, 200 kilograms of sugar, 1.5 million sultanas, and many litres of Jamaican rum.
A horse-drawn carriage carried the stollen cake to one of the city’s squares. Thousands of people at the Christmas fair watched the head baker cut the big cake. He had a 1.2 metre-long knife. Then people sold slices of the traditional cake.
Difficult words: sultana (a small, light brown, seedless raisin), draw (pull), fair (market).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you celebrate Christmas in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.