Giant squid in Japan – level 3
This is a giant squid, measuring in at 12 foot long. If 12 foot or 3.7 metres doesn’t sound that giant to you, that’s because this squid named locally as “Heck” is still only young.
It’s likely the next time it’s spotted, it’ll be over 40 foot-long and scientists say they can grow even bigger – up to a whopping 60 foot, that’s over 18 metres long!
It is believed that this giant squid is the first of the season and came as quite a surprise to onlookers at Toyoma Bay near Tokyo.
Despite normally sticking to the deep sea, Heck was spotted in the bay on the Christmas Eve, giving local divers an early present by allowing them to swim alongside and film for several hours.
Difficult words: spot (to see quickly), whopping (very big).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.