Girl is found – level 3
A 14-year-old girl who was thought to have died in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami has been found alive and reunited with her family. Video footage broadcast by Indonesian television on Thursday shows Raudhatul Jannah, also known as Wenni, being brought home by her biological mother Jamaliah.
Wenni was born in western Indonesia and is said to have been swept away by the tsunami when she was four-years-old. Indonesian local media reports that she was later found nearly 80 miles south and raised by an elderly woman.
“I prayed every day and night that if this little girl is safe, please let us find her. Even just one month ago, her father has been contacting everyone he knows and kept saying that ‘my sweet child must be alive’ every day after he came back from work.”
Wenni’s brother also disappeared with her when the tsunami struck but is still missing.
The family has no plan to take a DNA test to verify the girl’s identity, but her mother told local media that she is ready to do so if necessary.
Difficult words: sweep (move or take), verify (prove), identity (who you are) .
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.