Glass Bridge in China – level 3
In China, people erected a glass bridge that may not be for the faint-hearted but others take the risk and tried to crack the glass with sledgehammers. Being suspended at a whopping 300 metres above the ground, that definitely takes some guts.
People harnessed the courageous volunteers to the side of the bridge as a precaution, but none of them managed to break through the glass. Just to drive the point home, a 15-tonne SUV then drove over the glass.
Israeli Haim Dotan, the chief architect behind the project, claims that the bridge is the largest of its kind in the world.
Difficult words: erect (build), faint-hearted (easily scared), whopping (very large), guts (courage), harnessed (in a set of straps for protection), precaution (something which you do to be safe), drive the point home (make obvious), SUV (a sport utility vehicle), claim (argue).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.