Gold in cow pee – level 3
We rely on them for milk, but now will we rely on them for gold? That’s right, scientists in India claim to have found traces of gold in the urine of an indigenous cow breed. The researchers of the Junagadh Agricultural University said they made the discovery after seven years of extensive research on 500 urine samples of Gir cows.
Samples taken from calves, pregnant cows and ones which had stopped producing milk altogether show that there are 10 to 30 milligrams of gold in a litre of urine. Seems too good to be true, but it’s no moot point.
The head of the biotechnology department says that the amount varies from breed to breed and age to age but that all of the 500 samples contained gold in them.
The team’s findings even showed that cow wee has medicinal value which means we could even start using cow urine to treat illnesses which would be pretty…golden.
Difficult words: claim (say), trace (a very small quantity of something), urine (pee, wee), indigenous (native, natural to the place), extensive (large), moot (this means two things: debatable and it makes fun of the sound “moo” that cows make).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.