Gold under water – level 2
A company found treasure in the Atlantic Ocean. The company recovered it from a shipwreck, and the treasure is worth about 1.3 million dollars.
The ship had 21 tons of gold aboard at the time of its sinking in 1857. The sinking was caused by a hurricane off the coast of South Carolina. The company in Florida said that it recovered five gold bars from the ship. The bars totalled 1,000 ounces (28.3 kilograms) in weight. The company also picked up two 20 dollar gold pieces which are from the mid-1800s. The coins will be sold at an average price of $5,000 from collectors.
Difficult words: treasure (group of things which cost a lot of money), total (reach the total number of).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Do you have any gold coins at home?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.