Great Barrier Reef – level 2
The temperature of the Australian seawater was 28 degrees in November. This temperature started a very special process.
The corals of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef spawned. They released millions of eggs and sperm into the waters. Only a few people were lucky to see something like this. Scientists and tourists who saw it said that it was amazing.
This phenomenon has only been known for 30 years. Coral spawning usually happens at night.
Difficult words: spawn (release eggs or sperm), phenomenon (something which happens in nature).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to see this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.