Great Five-year Video of the Sun – level 3
NASA released a captivating time-lapse video showing some of the most memorable moments of the sun’s activity in the last 5 years.
To make the footage, someone captured one frame of the sun every eight hours from June 2010 to February 8th, 2015.
Then NASA released the footage in honour of the Solar Dynamics Observatory’s fifth anniversary. The observatory’s aims are to improve our understanding of the sun’s energy and its effects on Earth and near-Earth space.
Highlights of the footage include clouds of solar material being thrown into space and loops hovering in the atmosphere, which is known as the corona. Different colours in the video represent different wavelengths of extreme ultraviolet light, ultraviolet light and visible light which in turn correspond to solar material at different temperatures.
Difficult words: hover (remain in one place in space), captivating (very interesting), corona (the circle of light around the sun), ultraviolet light (a type of light that is very strong but we cannot see it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you like this type of news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.