Greece protests – level 1
On 28 February, two trains crash near the city of Larissa, Greece.
One train is a passenger train. There are people on it. The second train is a freight train. It carries materials and goods. Four carriages of the passenger train leave the tracks. A fire starts. 57 people die. Many people end up in hospital. It is the worst train accident in Greece’s history.
Since the accident, several protests take place in Greece. People are angry. They say that trains are not safe. There are problems with electronic systems. These systems warn of a train ahead. This problem lasts many years. The Greek government does not solve the problem.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures should the Greek government take to ensure the safety of passengers on trains?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.