Green Card Lottery – level 2
In 1990, the US Congress made a special program for people who wanted to get to the US. It is called Diversity Visa Lottery, and the idea is to bring more diversity among people who apply for a visa in the US.
Every year, the US government randomly chooses about 50,000 people who get the visa. However, this year, the lottery winners will not get to the US. The US president, Donald Trump, banned the program, and he said that the reason was the coronavirus. Trump said that millions of Americans were without a job, and that it was not possible to let more people come to the country.
Long before the coronavirus pandemic, Trump wanted to change the program. He said that the US should choose people who have good skills.
Difficult words: diversity (many different types of people), visa (a document or a stamp in a passport which is necessary to come to a country), randomly (when something happens by chance, rather than a system or plan), ban (to stop something so it cannot happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.