Green Card Lottery – level 3
Every year, millions of people around the world apply for a rare shot at US green card through the annual diversity visa lottery, in which the US government randomly selects people who can immigrate and become permanent residents in the country.
However, Donald Trump, the US president, banned the insurance of most visas for people abroad for the rest of the year. Trump said that this step was necessary to free up jobs for millions of Americans who were unemployed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The US Congress created the diversity visa program in 1990 to diversify the background of US immigrants. Since then, about 50,000 visas have been issued annually. However, this year 42,000 winners are not able to complete the process before the visa freeze.
Long before the pandemic, Trump tried to eliminate the program, and he said that the US should select immigrants based on their skills only.
Difficult words: diversity (a range of different things), visa (an official document or a stamp in a passport which allows a person to enter a country), diversify (to make something more varied), freeze (to stop a program or a situation from happening for some time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.