Green Flight – level 2
Lufthansa is a German company and it is one of the world’s largest airlines. Last week, Lufthansa announced that it would make the first CO2 neutral flight.
Lufthansa will use biofuel, which is a fuel that is made from plants or animal waste. The problem is that biofuel is three to six times more expensive that conventional fuel so it is not very likely that airlines will use it very much in the near future.
The coronavirus has caused companies to need less oil and it is possible that some refineries will have to close. This could force some companies to start using biofuel and become greener which means that they would use technologies that are less harmful to the environment.
Difficult words: CO2 neutral (when something does not produce the carbon dioxide gas which is bad for the environment), conventional (something that people consider ordinary and normal), refinery (a factory that makes oil cleaner)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos